61 Christmas Gifts for College Students in 2022
| Last Updated November 28, 2022
Trying to think of good Christmas gifts for college students can be a challenging task. It can be hard to decide which gifts are best. Do you buy them something useful and related to their studies, go with something they can enjoy on their downtime, or maybe find a way to combine both?
Whatever approach you take, here are a few questions that you may want to ask yourself when preparing to purchase Christmas gifts for students:
- What are their personal styles and favorite items? Answering this question can help you determine the types of gifts they will love, and think are cool.
- What is the size of their living space? A student living in a dorm will have much less space than a student who shares a house with roommates.
- Do they already own it? You want to be sure that you're buying them something they can use. Consider including a gift receipt if you're not sure.
- Is the gift going to require accessories or subscriptions they can't afford? Cool gifts can quickly lose their luster if students cannot afford to use them.
Now that you have considered the student you are buying gifts for, you may need some inspiration. Get your holiday shopping list ready by checking out our guide that includes both practical and fun gift ideas for college students broken down into three price ranges, as well as sections for him and her:
- Christmas gift ideas under $50
- Christmas gift ideas under $150
- Christmas gift ideas over $150
- Christmas gifts for college girls
- Christmas presents for college guys
This article contains affiliate links. We are compensated with a small commission, at no extra cost to you, for sales made through the links.
Christmas Gift Ideas Under $50
1. Printed Duct Tape: Believe it or not, duct tape can come in pretty handy, especially for a college or university student trying to fix something on the cheap. And it can be a cool novelty gift when it comes in a favorite print like camo or superheroes.Buy on Amazon
2. Stress ball: What college student doesn't need to release tension once in a while? A squishy, squeezable stress ball can be the perfect gift for anyone who needs to work out a little frustration.Buy on Amazon
3. Personalized Coffee Mug: A coffee mug personalized with favorite photos and sayings is a simple, personal gift that reminds the college student in your life of a special person or an unforgettable moment.Buy on Amazon
4. Space Organizers: Many college students live in small spaces such as dorms, apartments, or houses shared with roommates. Organizers for the kitchen, living room, bathroom, bedroom, and desk can come in handy and reduce the clutter in a small area.Buy on Amazon
5. Flask: Flasks are one of those great Christmas gifts for college guys, although there could be women who would like this gift too. There are many different styles and designs available, and you can even buy a stainless steel flask and have it personalized with a name, message, or funny phrase.Buy on Amazon
6. Wooden Crate: A wooden crate might sound like a weird gift, but an artsy and creative college student would probably appreciate it. Along with being decorative, crates also have practical uses. A crate can serve as a storage container, an organizer, and even a coffee table, end table, or nightstand.Buy on Amazon
7. Shirt-of-the-Month Club: Are you shopping for students who love T-shirts? Whether they like shirts with a vintage style, funny sayings, or modern images, a shirt-of-the-month club can deliver a new shirt monthly that students would happily add to their T-shirt rotation.
8. Clip Lamp: A battery-powered clip lamp is a great gift for busy college students on the go. They can use it around their home or take it with them on the bus, to the library, and any other setting where they could use some extra light.Buy on Amazon
9. First Aid Emergency Kit: Accidents happen, and the reality is that most college students are not going to be equipped with essentials like bandages and first aid ointment. So you could set them up with the basics needed to take care of minor cuts, scrapes, and burns.Buy on Amazon
10. Portable Charger: College students are busy, and most usually don't go anywhere without their phones. So you can imagine how troubling it is when they're out and realize that their phone is not charged. You can help prevent that letdown from happening by giving a portable charger, which can also be used for other small devices like Bluetooth speakers or wireless headphones.Buy on Amazon
11. Essential Oil Diffuser: With an essential oil diffuser, college students can fill their living spaces with grounding, calming, or uplifting aroma. You can include any number of oil blends that can help with everything from getting a good night's sleep to clearing and focusing the mind—all things that can benefit college students and make their dorms smell much better too.Buy on Amazon
12. Card Game: A part of attending school is having fun with your friends. That can easily be achieved with one of the popular card games like Cards Against Humanity, Never Have I Ever: The Adult Party Card Game of Poor Life Decisions, or Exploding Kittens. These games can be both slightly inappropriate and downright hilarious—a winning combination for many college students.Buy on Amazon
14. Scratch Map: Are you trying to come up with Christmas gift ideas for college students who like to travel? Consider purchasing a scratch map. You can choose from maps of the world or a specific continent or country that the student can hang on the wall and scratch off all of the places they have traveled.Buy on Amazon
15. Chef's Knife: If the college student you're shopping for enjoys spending time in the kitchen, then a good-quality chef's knife is a must. And it's something that most college students won't splurge on themselves.Buy on Amazon
16. Chalkboard Drinking Jars: When you have a group of friends together, and everyone is drinking from the same style of glasses, it's easy to mix up whose glass is whose. Chalkboard drinking jars solve this problem. People can write their names on their glasses, and the chalk easily washes off later. You also have the option of purchasing chalkboard labels that adhere to the glasses that the gift recipient already owns.Buy on Amazon
17. Fleece Blanket: Is there anything better than cuddling up under a cozy blanket? A fleece blanket is a great Christmas gift for a college student who wants to keep warm during all of those late-night study sessions.Buy on Amazon
18. Frying Pan: A good non-stick frying pan is an essential item for college students who do their own cooking. In addition to traditional aluminum frying pans, there are many other non-stick surfaces to choose from like cast-iron, ceramic, silicone, and titanium.Buy on Amazon
19. Hangover Kit: For many people who have attended college or university, a hangover kit may have come in handy at least once. A hangover kit is a DIY gift for which you can put things together like water, ginger ale, vitamin packs, mouthwash, ibuprofen, and antacids.Buy on Amazon
20. Sandwich Maker/Panini Press: Anyone who has attended college knows that grilled cheese sandwiches almost fall into their own food group. If this describes the college student you are shopping for, then a sandwich maker or panini press may be a great gift choice.Buy on Amazon
21. Multi-Charging Station: Most college students own multiple devices that require charging. And when living with roommates, charging devices can sometimes be a challenge. A multi-charging station allows a person to charge several devices at once using only one outlet.Buy on Amazon
22. Pajamas & Slippers: Comfort is key when attending school, whether spending long hours studying or having a movie marathon. What better way to spend that time than in a pair of warm and cozy pajamas and slippers? Some of the more popular companies selling PJs include Bare Necessities, H&M, Joe Boxer, and Lazy One.Buy on Amazon
23. Support pillow: A pillow that provides good support for the back and neck can be just what a college student needs to stay comfortable while lounging on a bed reading, studying, or watching Netflix.Buy on Amazon
24. Backpack or Messenger Bag: Busy college students usually have a lot of stuff to pack around with them. A good-quality backpack or messenger bag can make the difference between traveling around in comfort and having an aching back. And there are countless options and styles to choose from that can suit just about any student.Buy on Amazon
25. Personal Safety Kit: A personal safety kit can be useful for a female college student, especially if she has evening classes or a job where she could be walking alone after dark. You can buy a kit or put one together with items like a pocket whistle, personal alarm, and pepper spray.Buy on Amazon
26. Streaming Media Player: Streaming media devices are easy to use, convenient, and even portable, which are the kinds of product benefits that many college students desire. Media players offer all sorts of features, including the ability to access video websites and apps like YouTube and Netflix. They can also be used to make Skype calls and go on Facebook. Essentially, they offer a simple and affordable way to turn any TV into a smart TV.Buy on Amazon
27. Earthly's Unpaper Towels: Reusable Unpaper Towels are washable and can be used in place of paper towels for napkins and cleaning up spills in your dorm room. These environmentally friendly cloths are super handy to have in your car for emergencies. The bright and cute lemon design on this paper towel alternative will look amazing in your Instagram posts.Buy on Amazon
Christmas Gift Ideas Under $150
28. Gift Card for Something Fabulous: Is there something that the college student in your life would love to do but would never spend the money on? Maybe getting a manicure, massage, or going out for a nice dinner tops the list of things that they would love to do. Get them a gift card—or even two—for a little pick-me-up.
29. Bluetooth Speaker: Students usually love their music (and rightfully so) because it can help them study, unwind, or gain energy. Bluetooth speakers let them amplify the tunes from their smartphones or other devices. Some models are even splash-proof.Buy on Amazon
30. Smartphone Projector: Get a gift that allows college students to turn their dorms, bedrooms, or living rooms into home theaters. The options vary from the most basic cardboard models to high-quality HD pocket projectors.Buy on Amazon
31. Bean Bag Chair: What is the college experience without a bean bag chair? An essential for many college students, hours can be spent in these comfortable chairs that come in a variety of styles and colors.Buy on Amazon
32. Fitness Tracker: Are you purchasing a Christmas gift for a college student concerned with their fitness levels? You may want to consider buying a personal fitness tracker like a Fitbit. These devices can track a person's steps, measure distance and calories burned, monitor sleep, and send stats to smartphones or computers.Buy on Amazon
33. Noise-Cancelling Earbuds or Headphones: These are a great gift idea for college students who are always on the go with music in their ears. Noise-cancelling earbuds or headphones can provide thousands of hours of high-quality sound. If you're willing to spend more than $200, Apple's AirPods Pro are among the best, most desired earbuds with active noise cancellation.Buy on Amazon
35. Instant Pot Mini: Here's the ultimate multifunctional kitchen gadget for students who are short on space. The Instant Pot is an all-in-one device that works as a pressure cooker, slow cooker, oven, stove, and even yogurt maker. Just be sure to check whether it will be allowed in a dorm room.Buy on Amazon
36. E-Reader: This is a practical gift, especially when you consider that many textbooks are now available electronically. And it's an even better gift option if the college student you are shopping for loves to read in their spare time. Some top-rated e-readers include the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, Amazon Kindle Oasis, Kobo Clara HD, and Kobo Libra H2O.Buy on Amazon
37. Single-Serve Coffee Brewer: A lot of college and university students are powered by coffee. Their worlds may cease to exist without it. So help them out a little and buy them a single-serve coffee brewer like a Keurig, Nescafe, or Tassimo machine. Your college student will always have coffee ready to go at the push of a button.Buy on Amazon
38. Concert Tickets: Send your gift recipient out for a fun night of enjoying their favorite band, comedian, or performer. Buying a pair of tickets would be ideal so that a friend can also attend, allowing them to have a night out and create some great college memories.
39. Birchbox Subscription: Birchbox offers subscriptions for beauty and grooming baskets that are sent out monthly. Baskets can be customized and can also include accessories as well as household and food items. You could also take a DIY approach and create a self-care basket filled with all of the student's favorite products.
40. Healthy Snacks: Are you concerned about the amount of ramen noodles and mac and cheese that the college student in your life is consuming? Help them out by having healthy snacks delivered every month via a subscription with Amazon Prime or a fruit-of-the-month club.Buy on Amazon
41. Amazon Echo: Surprise the student in your life with a voice-activated multimedia speaker. The Amazon Echo plays all of their music from popular sites and apps like Prime Music and Spotify. It can also look up information to answer questions, provide the weather, and report the news. And it can even call for an Uber ride, order pizza, and control home features like lights and thermostats.Buy on Amazon
Christmas Gift Ideas Over $150
42. Apple AirPods: Although they cost more than many competing products, these in-ear headphones provide some of the best sound quality. And since they're wireless, they're great for active college students who don't want to deal with cumbersome cords. By paying extra for AirPods Pro, your college student also gets a more customizable fit, water resistance, and active noise cancellation, which is great for studying in shared spaces.Buy on Amazon
43. Pedal Bike: A pedal bike is a great gift idea for college and university students who have larger areas to travel around for school and work. A bike can make commuting a little easier and provide some exercise at the same time. And there are many bike styles and options to choose from.Buy on Amazon
44. Action Video Camera: Get a cool gift for the active college student in your life. Sports enthusiasts love products like GoPros or Polaroid Cubes because they can easily take live-action videos while taking part in fun activities such as mountain biking, snowboarding, and scuba diving.Buy on Amazon
45. Smart TV: Make a college student's day by giving them a smart TV. These units can connect to the Internet so that a person can directly access Netflix and video-on-demand services as well as social networking and other websites. Some TVs are also capable of instant messaging and video calling. Depending on how much you want to spend, there are many cool features available.Buy on Amazon
46. Video Game Console: Does the college student you are shopping for love to game? They would probably enjoy a new gaming system like a Sony PlayStation 4, Microsoft Xbox One, Microsoft Xbox 360, or Nintendo Switch. These units connect to the Internet so that users can game with friends remotely as well as access web and video services like Netflix and YouTube.Buy on Amazon
47. Tablet: Tablets are multi-purpose and can be practical and fun for college and university students. They can use them to surf the Web, read, study, take notes, film, and photograph. Some of the top-rated tablets include various models of the Apple iPad, Amazon Fire, and Samsung Galaxy.Buy on Amazon
48. Monthly Care Package: How about surprising the student in your life with regular bundles of goodies and essentials? You can make the care packages yourself, including their favorite snacks, homemade treats, fun items, and useful supplies. Or you can pay for a monthly subscription to a service like My College Crate that handles everything for you, all based on your custom preferences.
Christmas Gifts for College Girls
49. Adult Coloring Books: Help relieve the stress that the college girl in your life experiences by buying her a couple of adult coloring books. Coloring is an artistic and creative activity that can be done almost anywhere, and it can bring a great sense of calm peacefulness.Buy on Amazon
50. Essential Oils: Essential oils have many uses that can be helpful for students. They have been known to help with almost anything from boosting immunity to improving focus and concentration. At the very least, they can help a dorm room smell much better.Buy on Amazon
51. Coconut Oil Skincare Products: Coconut oil is a trending, all-natural product with many different uses—skincare being among the top ones. Treat the female student you know to some wonderful moisturizing skincare products.Buy on Amazon
52. Tea-Based Products: Green tea and matcha tea powder are some of the top-selling consumer products right now. There are many benefits associated with drinking tea, and tea is also an ingredient in many skincare products. Discover tea products that the female student in your life will love.Buy on Amazon
53. Jewelry Candles: Does the female college student that you are shopping for love jewelry? How about candles? You may want to buy her one of the top-trending products right now that brings those two things together: jewelry in candles. She can freshen the air in her room and be surprised with a new fashion accessory.Buy on Amazon
54. Yoga Mat Bag: College students who love to practice yoga can always use a beautiful mat bag for carrying their gear to and from classes. Choose from a variety of styles and colors to find a bag that perfectly suits the student in your life.Buy on Amazon
55. Leggings: Leggings are an essential wardrobe item for many women. And for those who love leggings, they can never have too many pairs. If the female student you are shopping for wears leggings, then she'd be happy to receive a new pair or two. And if you're unsure of size or style, a gift receipt is always a smart idea.Buy on Amazon
Christmas Presents for College Guys
56. Toaster Bags: There might not be a handier gift for a college guy living in a dorm than a product that allows him to quickly make a grilled cheese sandwich in the toaster. As a bonus, most toaster bags are reusable and multi-purpose (i.e., they can also be used in the oven or microwave for all kinds of foods, including pizza, chicken nuggets, and frozen waffles).Buy on Amazon
57. Beard Oil: Does the college guy in your life keep a well-groomed beard? If so, you might want to buy him a moisturizing beard oil that helps keep his skin and facial hair looking and feeling amazing. You may also want to check out additional men's grooming products that he may like.Buy on Amazon
58. Swiss Army Knife: What guy doesn't want a Swiss army knife or similar multi-tool? When you are in college, you just never know when a bottle opener, screwdriver, pliers, or pair of scissors could come in handy.Buy on Amazon
59. Carry-On Cocktail Kit: If the college guy you're shopping for occasionally flies home and enjoys a mid-flight drink, then consider buying him a cool gift that can also help him save some money. Most kits are TSA-approved, but it is best to make sure of that before you buy one.Buy on Amazon
60. Electric Shaver: Anything that is convenient and saves time is usually well-loved by college guys. If the student you are buying for likes to be clean-shaven, you may want to get him a nice electric shaver to help reduce the time he has to spend getting ready for his day.Buy on Amazon
61. Drone: When it comes to cool gifts for college guys, drones probably top the list. When the college guy in your life needs a break from his studies, he can have some fun flying his drone around campus. And since most drones are equipped with cameras, he could take some neat videos and pictures.Buy on Amazon
Need More Ideas?
Check out Amazon's gift finder for additional items that are unique and fit your budget. You can find some great deals. And it's fun to browse the wide selection of possibilities.