3 Major Advantages of Going to College in Atlanta, GA
Atlanta is one of the jewels of the American South. In fact, it's become a popular city for all kinds of career-minded students and working professionals. And that popularity is expected to continue well into the future thanks to the city's ability to keep opportunities alive alongside great lifestyle amenities.
Between 2010 and 2018, the Atlanta metropolitan area (which consists of 29 different counties in northern Georgia) had the fourth-highest rate of population growth in the country.1 And projections indicate that by 2040, more than 2.5 million more people could take up residence in the region.2
Clearly, a lot of people are drawn to Atlanta. Here are three of the top reasons why:
1. Exciting Industrial Variety
Not many places in the southeastern U.S. are home to such a fascinating mix of successful and emerging industries. Metro Atlanta stands out from a lot of other regions because of that diversity. Qualified workers from many different backgrounds are able to flourish in this part of Georgia thanks to the compelling variety of career sectors.
For example, did you know that metro Atlanta is a major player in the rapidly developing bioscience industry?3 Also, the sustained growth and success of the region creates hundreds of opportunities for people in the skilled trades, culinary arts, and business, financial, and legal professions. The area even has a fairly sizeable manufacturing sector.
But some of the most vibrant and exciting industries in Atlanta and the surrounding region might be:
- Healthcare—This industry is huge. In fact, in 2016, metro Atlanta's healthcare sector employed 212,200 people throughout the region. Plus, based on projections for 2016 to 2026, five of the top 15 fastest-growing occupations in the region are related to healthcare.4
- Film, television, and digital media—Georgia's creative industries generate total revenue of about $37 billion and support 200,000 jobs.5 In fact, various companies throughout the Atlanta region specialize in fun areas like interactive media, design, and entertainment.
- Information technology (IT)—Metro Atlanta's high-tech sector is growing at one of the fastest rates in the country thanks to the success of over 13,000 companies that specialize in areas such as healthcare IT, communications, information security, and software development for logistics, smart grids, and content analytics.3
2. An Abundance of Job Opportunities
Thanks to ongoing growth, retirements, and industrial variety, this metro area continues to offer a lot of employment potential. Opportunities are spread across a huge variety of different occupations. For example, look at the yearly number of job openings within the City of Atlanta that are projected for each of the following vocations during the 2016-to-2026 period:4
- Accountants and auditors—1,540
- Security guards—1,270
- Management analysts—1,250
- Administrative assistants—1,140
- Application software developers—1,220
- Registered nurses—1,110
- Nursing assistants—1,010
- Medical assistants—500
- Preschool teachers—430
- Graphic designers—280
3. A Satisfying Quality of Life
Metro Atlanta is full of great amenities that can make your life easier or more enjoyable, regardless of whether you're going to college or already have a career. For example, the region is full of terrific parks and green spaces, including more than 3,000 acres of parkland within the city limits.6 Downtown Atlanta has world-class restaurants, entertainment venues, and cultural hot spots. And you can also take advantage of:
- Over 30 public recreation centers6
- About six miles of paved trails for pedestrians and cyclists, plus an additional 26 trail miles that are planned for the future6
- More than 180 miles of off-road trails6
- A convenient public transit system that includes over 550 buses and over 330 trains7
Make Your Future Shine
You deserve to achieve your own potential in a city that resonates with who you are. So find out where you can give yourself a new beginning, and start attaining valuable career skills. Use the following search tool right now in order to find nearby trade schools and colleges in Atlanta based on your current zip code!
1 Atlanta Journal-Constitution, "Census: Metro Atlanta has the 4th-fastest growing population in nation," website last visited on January 3, 2020.
2 Atlanta Regional Commission, "Population & Employment Forecasts," website last visited on January 3, 2020.
3 Metro Atlanta Chamber, website last visited on January 3, 2020.
4 Georgia Department of Labor, website last visited on January 3, 2020.
5 Georgia Council for the Arts, "Georgia's Creative Economy," website last visited on January 3, 2020.
6 City of Atlanta, website last visited on January 3, 2020.
7 Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA), website last visited on January 3, 2020.